Friday, March 21, 2008

Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1 (Review)

I lately got my hands on the new Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1, which now have been circulating for a while in most of the downloading sites and torrents. Is it true that Microsoft released such a version without much announcement?? or is this a fake version??....Some say Microsoft released it for beta testing, but there is no sign of such release in the MS website. The truth is, its a fake version developed by some programmer for his on reasons. There is a rumor that programming groups which shows affinity to Microsoft argues them to produce an Ultimate Media Player that can stand up to iTunes from Apple, which is currently dominating the Digital Music World. This must be the reason that MS is keeping quite even though it is getting popular in torrent sites.

Anyway I downloaded WMP 12 Beta 1 and installed it to see how much it is worth to the hype that is given to it by all torrent clients. But unfortunately I got a version provided by the h33t file sharing group which is not in English language. Since I am familiar with WMP 11 interface, I decided to go on with the testing process. And so does my confidence paid me the price. I was surprised to see the same UI provided by WMP 11!!! There is no difference in WMP 12 UI except some smoothening or polishing look given to it by its developer. But there is a change for WMP 12 desktop icon, which gives a better impression than the icon of WMP 11. Take a look at the "Now Playing" page of WMP 12 beta1.

After the first "not so good" feel given by WMP 12, I decided to play some tracks to see how good it is when it comes to the real stuff. So I put some of my best Rock music tracks to the play list and selected the Equalizer settings for Rock generic, and to my surprise it completely beats WMP 11 in playback quality. The Bass has improved a lot, the noise level when playing either the high quality or low quality tracks also has improved. I tried some soft music too.They seem like a pleasure to hear. After all, I slowly began to think WMP 12 is worth its fame given by all torrent sites.

Next I noticed that the Media Library of WMP 12 seems a little more easy to use than the one in WMP 11. It looks like a more intelligent version than the former version. It detects automatically all the media files in your system and adds it to library according to various generic. You don't have to explicitly specify each and every generic tracks. And as a cool feature it automatically finds appropriate Artist/Album informations from audio file properties or from internet, including an Album pic to represent media files in Library.

The video playback has given some improvement. The clarity has increased, all hiccups in playing high resolution videos seems to have no problem to go on with WMP 12. Even the low quality videos can be seen vivid in WMP 12 compared to poor visibility provided by WMP 11.















At the end of the day, I can't tell you whether WMP 12 is a great work done by some third party developer, but it has got some elements that makes you use this version over the genuine WMP 11. I am not telling you that this is a media player that can stand up to the "easy-of-use" and "cool to hear" iTunes, although WMP 12 has made some changes in handling External Media players and devices. Now I have a nice feeling towards WMP when using along with Gtalk for music history status, which I was earlier used to feel ashamed of when compared to Winamp. But WMP 12 is not anywhere near Winamp, the all-time favorite for audiophiles. And when I am talking about Winamp, Nullsoft has released its Winamp 5.52 version at its 10th anniversary. I will be trying to come up soon with a review on Winamp 5.52 with its new revolutionary "Bento" interface.


3 comments:

Jose Philip Raja said...

nice detailed explanation yaar..
It made me to download WMP12!!

Midhun Harikumar said...

Hye the media library features that yu said already exist in WMP 11. like the way it retrieves cover image and details from internet.


then i dont think winamp 5.5 is a greater step forward. The interface is complex and the user can get lost easily with so many panels and it doe used more resources.

For the WMP 11 design, Vista design and Office 2007 design, microsoft has come up with some new User Interface Driven development program, which we all can agree is working, although not much for the software.
The WMP design is simple and really easy to use. The iTunes library is a mess, i had a real hard time using it.

Frankly im a follower of the WMP solely beacuase of the UI and the simplicity to use adn not because its a product from MS.

You should also try out the Spider-Player. It has good sound output. Just try and give a review of that .....

j1n M@tt said...

@midhun HK
I didn't said dat the media library features didn't exists in WMP11, I said dat in WMP12 the media library collects informations in a more intelligent manner. Enlarge the screen shot of WMP12's media library and see how it grouped together the 2 different albums from 'Blue', in WMP11 its not in an orderly fashion(and to my wonder, the ALL RISE album was stored in my download center at a totally different section of my HDD).

And abt iTunes, we guys may be feeling like dat, but if you say this to an iPod user, he will knock ur block off!!.Dunno why they like it so much.

By the way Winamp 5.5 is a gr8 release from Nullsoft. Its interface is a piece of cake, how dare u say its complex??!!! Winamp+Enhancer is the best Music Player when it comes to audio processing and audio hardware utilization. Wait till I review it next time around my blog.

Thanx.